Location: HQ - San Mateo, California, United States
A bit about Scalyr
Scalyr’s mission is to build the best tool for engineers to understand their operational systems. Our founder, Steve Newman, cofounded Writely (aka Google Docs). Frustrated by the fact that visibility tools – even Google’s in-house tools – weren’t keeping up, Steve started Scalyr to create a better solution. It’s lightning fast, feature-rich and customers love it. The opportunity in front of us is huge and we are still in the very early days. This is going to be one of those companies where people will look back and say “I wish I’d been there when…” well, this is your chance to be part of “when”.
You’ll be a foundational member of the C team, responsible for the many terabytes of customer observability data flowing into Scalyr daily. This includes our agent that runs on customer infrastructure, plugins or open source systems, integrations with Cloud platforms, and yet-to-be-built highly-available services and APIs. Here are some of the qualities we are looking for:
- You're a polyglot. Code is code, regardless of the language. You just enjoy building.
- You are excited by the challenges of designing & maintaining mission-critical processes that run at scale and must satisfy a large range of customer requirements. Some customers have thousands of instances of our agent running in their infrastructure, sending terabytes of mission-critical data daily.
- New technologies fascinate you. You’re ready to dive in and figure out how to hook us up with the next Kubernetes, and new services from AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- You have a knack for understanding and acclimating to unfamiliar software.
- Minimum of three years of software engineering experience in one language (Python preferred) and proficiency in another.
- Multi-threaded programming
- Comfortable with Linux basics and shell scripting
- Ability to lead technical discussions about building robust interconnects between systems
- You insist on comprehensive testing because you’ve seen how they empower a small team to achieve oversized impact.
- Practical experience with cloud provider technologies like Kubernetes, EC2, Lambda, and Kinesis
- Experience creating new systems from scratch, ruthlessly trimming requirements to deliver quickly while maintaining quality
- Comfort with performance debugging using tools like dtrace, strace, and perf
- Competitive salary & equity at a fast growing startup
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Free lunch
- Flexible schedule
- Unlimited vacations
- Paid parental leave
- Easygoing, low-stress, considerate and fun office environment
- Whatever equipment you need to get the job done
Our commitment to diversity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Apply to this position